Police Tartan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Police Tartan?

The State of Connecticut has an official tartan worn by the State Police Pipe Band.
    Although I'm not associated, if you want information, I can can point you in the direction of someone who might be able to advise.
    David

Comment

Thanks again. I'll follow up on some of the advice given.

I like the idea of designing my own. Just wondering if it costs a lot more for the mill to run a unique, low market specialty.

Off I go to do some tartan homework.

Comment

check out the chicago police pipes and drums kilt (NOT the emerald society)....very nice. if someone has a photo of it that is.....i don't believe they have a website as of yet.
        childish name calling is fun! let's all try - i'll go first, poop head!

Comment

Originally posted by MacDhaibhidh:
          check out the chicago police pipes and drums kilt (NOT the emerald society)....very nice. if someone has a photo of it that is.....i don't believe they have a website as of yet.
          Click Here for Chicago Police Pipes and Drums website.

Is this who you are talking about?

Comment

nova scotia is a good one
            I agree, very pretty tartan. I almost bought one when I was there but just decided to stick to the Colorado State Tartan, which is just as pretty but I will get a NS tartan before I hit the burial ground.

Comment

vic police wear mcpherson. their old uniform worn at the worlds (also mcpherson) is now worn by the city of launceston returned servicemens league pipes and drums
              piping -- better than mowing the lawns or doing the dishes

Comment

My understanding is that the L.A. Police Pipe Band wore the City of L.A. tartan.

The United States Border Patrol has its own registered tartan as well. It can be seen on the USBP San Diego Sector web-site as the background to the Pipe Band page.

Mike

Comment

Dear PiperD,
                  Surprised about how complicated the answers got ... If you want a tartan for you for official events, check this address:

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/kidspg/symbols.htm

and you'll see that there is an official tartan of North Carolina ..., and if you want to go further, you may have other options.

Cheers !

Comment

The band I helped form, Port Orchard Police Pipe Band, wears the US Navy Edzel tartan. The Tartan is primarily blue and since Port Orchard is a Navy town (and many of us including me are Navy Vets) it fits!
                    Loud pipes save lives!
                    RPFFRP

Comment

I concur with going "local." If you can't afford to design your own, go with a district (city or state) tartan. Most a really well designed and meaningful. BTW, has anyone seen the FBI tartan. Interesting but not too appealing in my book. Just thought you might find it interesting. Here's a link to a good tartan finder site: http://www.house-of-tartan.scotland....se/tfinder.htm

Comment

If you want practical, I'd recommend Clark. It would easily coordinate with a Police uniform in either a white shirt, black shirt or blue shirt. It can be seen here:

http://www.scotland.com/culture/tartans/c/clarkfam.html

It you want beautiful, I'd recommend Weir. The fine gold line is reminiscent of a Police gold shield and would pick up the gold buttons of a dress uniform. If pleated to the stripe, the double gold lines could be centered down each vertical pleat in such a way as to give the appearance of twice as many pleats. I think it's a knock-out visually. It can be seen here:

http://www.scotland.com/culture/tartans/w/weir.html

But if you want meaningful, I'd go with the United States Tartan. Originally a trade tartan, it's colors were taken from the US and Scottish flags to indicate our close ties. And the predominat blue was to represent the Atlantic Ocean, over which so many Scots journeyed in order to merge their culture with the New World. It's not particularly Police, but it's appropriately Scots-American. It can be seen here by scrolling down and typing either "2126" or "United States" into the search feature of their Tartan Finder:

http://www.electricscotland.com/tartans/

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                        X